Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Favorite toys of a mobile baby

Well Elise has been creeping or crawling for almost 3 months now so I thought I would blog about her favorite toys. Click on the link to see the toy on amazon.com. I have become obsessed with checking reviews on amazon before I buy something. I like to rotate her toys so that she doesn't see them all the time.

Toys for Now

Leapfrog Learn and Groove Musical Table
This is a wonderful toy that she has loved from the beginning. I think we started using it when she was 6 or 7 months old. She loved to stand holding onto it, then cruise around it, then pull up on it, then get down from it, etc. She will enjoy this for a long time.

Leapfrog Fridge Farm


This is a great toy to play with in the kitchen. She loves to take the magnets off the fridge and press the button that plays a song. She is just now starting to try to put the magnets back on the fridge. Eventually it will be a matching game for her. This toy will also last a long time. I wouldn't recommend it until your baby is crawling or a VERY good sitter... you don't want him/her to fall when they are sitting on the tile! The magnets also work on my dishwasher. Elise follows me around the house, and this is a wonderful toy for her to play with while I cook or do dishes.

Chicco Activity Baby Walker

I think I got this for her after she had been cruising for a few weeks. I had previously bought and returned two other walkers because they would fall out from under her. This one has a nice wide base and is sturdy enough for her to pull up on without me holding it down. The toys on the front are an added bonus. She is just now getting interested in her shape sorters, so this is a great 2-in-1 toy. She likes to put the balls in the hole at the top (it lights up and plays music) and play with the sides.

Baby Einstein Animal Exploration Tunnel

I bought this on clearance at Walmart this summer for $15. I have seen it at Babies R Us for $40-$50. She loves to crawl through it, sit in it and play with toys, and play peekaboo with the mesh flaps. I think she will like playing with the tunnel for a long time. It folds up and stores easily in a box.

Fisher Price Brilliant Basics Shape Sorter

She has played with this toy for several months. She loves to take things out of buckets, boxes, baskets, etc, and really enjoyed emptying the box of the shapes. Now she is showing an interest in putting the shapes back in the box. She can only put the circle through right now, but she tries to get the other ones through. I think this will be interesting for a while. Other shape sorters might be better, but this is inexpensive and enjoyable.

Discovery Toys Measure Up Cups

These cups will always attract Elise's attention. We have had them for months. She loved them when she was learning to sit and would reach for them. She loves to crawl after them and pull up to get them on a table. She loves to knock towers down, pull cups out of the nesting position, and is now starting to try to stack them herself. These will last for a long time.

Sophie the Giraffe Teether

Elise still loves to play with this toy. She squeaks it and chews on it. I keep it in the car because Boss also likes to squeak it and chew on it. Amazon has a really good price on it right now!

Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo

Well, this toy was a major hit in the 4-9 month range but she still loves to play in it at nearly 11 months old, so I have to mention it again. I don't use it very often because I want it to be a novelty for the times that I need to confine her. If you have a younger child and don't have one of these, you need to buy one!

Graco Pack n Play Bugs Quilt


This is Elise's other place of confinement. We do independent playtime here. She enjoys playing with the toys on the sides. I recently bought her some soft toys to use while she plays in here. Now that she likes to stand in the pack n play, I am paranoid about leaving hard toys in there! My mom originally bought this to use at her house but has graciously let me keep it here. Thanks, Mom!

Elise is really starting to love books now. They hold her attention and she loves to turn the pages (in the board books). Her favorites right now are Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Goodnight Moon.


Toys for the Future

For the last few months I have been asking moms about toys that their 12-24 month children enjoy and then making myself a little wish list. I have been eyeing a bunch of bigger toys for a while and recently found some GREAT prices on a few items from the Baby Cheapskate blog. I could give them to her now and she would love them, but I am going to wait until her birthday for the wagon (since she already has a walker) and a rainy day in the spring for the farmhouse. December is such a great time for toy deals and I will plan to take advantage of that every year.

Radio Flyer Walker Wagon - I got this for $40 and free shipping on target.com last week! It is so cute and will be a fun walker. I also plan to use it to store toys.

Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Learning Farm - I got this for $40 and free shipping on target.com last week! I had wanted the Learning Home instead, but couldn't pass up the $40 for the farm.

Radio Flyer Scoot About Trike - I also got this for $20 and free shipping on target.com last week. I am planning to give this to her in the summer.

Step 2 Push Around Buggy - A friend gave this to me for a baby gift for the future because her children enjoyed it so much. It is still in the attic but when we get it out this summer, it will be a lot of fun!

Manhattan Toy Snuggle Pod - This is going to be Elise's first doll. I wanted something soft and small and this is SO cute in person. We are going to give it to her for her birthday.

Mega Bloks Fill and Dump Wagon - My mom found this toy and is giving it to Elise for Christmas. She will love playing with the blocks and pushing/pulling the wagon. I think this is a great first birthday gift!

Haba Toys - I am in love with a lot of these Haba toys! They are a little pricey so I have only gotten a few of them. She is going to get the Wonder Dice from Santa in her stocking. This will be a perfect soft toy for her independent playtime. She is getting several from other family members for Christmas. I will be sure to blog about them later!

Here are some outdoor toys that I am eyeing for next summer (around 18 months)... it is SO tempting to buy everything now but I will resist! The free super saver shipping gets me every time!
Step 2 Waterwheel Activity Play Table
Step 2 Naturally Playful Sand Table
Little Tikes EasyHit Golf Set

If you have children, I would love to hear about their favorite toys!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Steph!!! This was very helpful for Aubrey's Christmas gift ideas!

    ReplyDelete