Saturday, February 12, 2011

27ish weeks

I had my first appointment with the new doctor on Friday and it ended up being long but good! We decided to change my due date back to May 15 (this is what it was originally supposed to be, but they moved it to May 8 back in November since Jack measured big at the 13/14 week ultrasound). Without going into too many details, I have long cycles, and the May 8 due date fits for someone who has 28 day cycles but definitely doesn't fit for me. The doctor agreed that May 15 would be more accurate and that he is probably just going to be a big baby like Elise. I wish that I would have insisted on getting an early ultrasound to date the pregnancy (between 6-8 weeks is very accurate) but the Army hospital at Fort Hood doesn't do that automatically and I didn't even have an appointment with them until I was 12 weeks along. I've told this cycle issue to all of the doctors that I have seen and he was the first one that actually listened and agreed with me. I explained my concerns and goals about the labor and delivery and he sent a request over to Scott and White so that he could review the notes from the doctor and nurses that delivered Elise. I was impressed with that as well.

Jack's heartbeat was 134 (Elise's was always way higher... my kids have followed the old wives' tale that higher heart rate = girl). He measured my fundal height three times and I only measured 24 weeks (supposed to be almost 27 with new due date), so he wanted to do an ultrasound to check on my fluid levels and the baby's growth. I had to wait for a little while so that the ultrasound tech could squeeze me in, but everything looked great! He measured almost 28 weeks and the weighs approximately 2.5 lbs. The calcium deposit that was found on one of his heart valves at my 17 week ultrasound is gone as well. So, basically, I'm measuring small but he is measuring big. I guess that explains why my stomach feels so stretched. If I feel around on my stomach, I can always feel where he is because there is at least one body part pressing against the surface.

Last week, I had my first two strangers ask me when I was due while I was wearing workout clothes. I'm excited that I finally look pregnant to strangers instead of just chunky in the stomach! Here is Jack from the outside...


And here from the inside... the top picture is a profile of his face and the bottom picture is looking straight at his face. His eyes are open and you can see his hands.

I've continued to have a good appetite and I think I've gained about 3 pounds in the last two weeks, which puts me at +6 (or +14 from lowest point). I'm at a very awkward clothing stage. I still have plenty of long long-sleeved shirts that I can wear. I've outgrown a few smaller pairs of jeans, but I can still wear most of them with a rubber band through the button. At this point, maternity pants would be a lot more comfortable, but my maternity pants and capris are still too big and baggy. I must be carrying differently this time since I weigh about the same as I did at this stage with Elise. I think I might have to break down and buy a new pair of maternity jeans because the two I have are falling off after 5 minutes of wear. You might think that this is good, but it is VERY frustrating!!!

A few foods that I really like right now:
- avocados/guacamole (One of my favorite lunches right now is an avocado and cheese sandwich with mustard... I don't think I ever ate one before a few months ago. Yummy!)
- bagels and cream cheese
- chicken (For some reason, chicken is usually the only meat that appeals to me. It was the opposite with Elise.)
- strawberries (Too bad it isn't summer/cheap berry season.)
- mint chocolate chip ice cream (If you haven't had it lately, go buy some!)

Elise's 2 year appointment got delayed again, so I rescheduled it for the 16th. I have an addition to her 2 year post but I'll probably just post it after that appointment. Here's one funny quote from about 2 weeks ago...

E: (points across the room at me) "I see a boy!"
S: (a little confused knowing that she and I are the only ones home) "Where is the boy?"
E: "He's in Mommy's tummy! His name is Baby Jack."
a little while later...
E: "Is Elise going to go in Mommy's tummy too?"

1 comment:

  1. I guess it's better to have your due date switched back now than to think that it's a week earlier than it actually is! I'm always skeptical when people our mom's ages say that they were 2 weeks late - I never believe that they had accurate due dates to begin with!

    ReplyDelete