Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jack is 9 months old!

Update:  I just have to share this story from lunch.  First, Elise scooted her chair over next to Jack and said, "Mama, we two are hungry!".  She played so sweetly with him today.  Fast forward a few minutes, and Jack had eaten some pureed squash/apple.  Then I put some pieces of sweet potato, black beans, and puffs on his tray.  To his credit, he tried each thing, but then polished off the puffs and held up his hands to sign "all done".  Ha!

I haven't uploaded any new pictures to my computer since I took Jack's 8 month pictures, but I want to go ahead and document this time period before it passes!  He looks the same plus thicker hair and one extra tooth. :)  I'm planning to take some 9 month pictures today and maybe I'll post a crawling video with the pictures.


Stats: His 9 month appointment was postponed to February 28 by the doctor's office, but we estimate that he's about 18 lbs (sans diaper) and 28.5 inches.  He wears a size 3 overnight diaper and a variety of 6-12, 12M, and 12-18 month clothes.  This is about 3.5 lbs lighter and an inch shorter than his big sister at this age!  His top right tooth popped through on February 13.  His hair is thick all over and he is in need of his 4th haircut :)

Sleeping:  Jack continues to be a great sleeper.  He and Elise got sick twice in the past month, and even through the sickness and teething, he slept well.  When he was sick, he often woke up after 11 hours, ate, and went back to bed.  Now that he is well again, he's back to waking up at a decent hour.  He goes to bed by 7 and wakes up between 7 and 7:15.  Then he takes a morning nap from 9-10ish and an afternoon nap from 1:30-4:15ish.  He's starting to shorten the morning nap while keeping the afternoon nap long, which works great with our schedule.  He is very easy to put to bed and loves to stare up at his mobile and suck his thumb while he falls asleep.  I've had a lot of success with the Boiron Camilia teething relief for both kids.      

Eating:  We are nursing 5 times a day and eating solids 3 times a day.  He is very good with his pincer grasp now but isn't nearly as adventurous with finger foods as Elise was.  I think part of this might be due to tooth #3's recent appearance.  Of course, he loves puffs and Cheerios, and he'll usually eat some peas or sweet potatoes (cut into strips or cubes), but he's preferring purees right now.  I make quite a bit of his baby food and he'll eat just about anything mixed with an orange vegetable or milk/cereal.  He also likes yogurt.  He goes nuts when he sees a "squeezy pack," so I just ordered a few of the Sili Squeeze with Eeeze and I'm really looking forward to trying them out.    
  
Playing:  Jack is a very busy little boy!  He changed a lot this month.  First, he learned how to crawl backwards around his 8 month birthday, then crawl in a circle, sit himself up (January 27), and crawl forwards (February 4).  He is fast, coordinated, and just the cutest little crawler you can imagine.  His favorite toy right now is the Fisher Price Fun with Friends Musical Table, which I bought on craigslist for $10.  He also loves the Haba Color Stacking Tower that he received from his great grandparents for Christmas.  He still enjoys the Graco TotBloc Play Pen that we have in the basement and will happily play in there for 30 minutes or more.  He's a very good car and stroller rider and LOVES riding in the Beco carrier.  He isn't as crazy about the Jumperoo as he was before he could move, but he enjoys playing in it if he gets fussy while I'm making dinner.  He is trying very hard to figure out how to pull up on his table and on the baby gates.  He also tries to re-stack his Haba tower and put the balls in the hole in his walker.      

Learning:  Jack's receptive language has developed a lot this month.  He can identify many toys, objects, and people and will pick a specific toy out of a pile.  He uses the more and milk signs and "talks" all the time but doesn't babble much.  I am planning to start teaching him more signs.  He LOVES reading books and reaches for his books as soon as he is finished nursing.  He gets very excited at the mention of food or a bath.

Jack, we adore you and wouldn't be upset if you stayed a baby forever :)  We can't imagine our family without you!



No comments:

Post a Comment