We had a great first month with "Baby Gak". Elise is hilarious and talks to him in a baby voice. I'll have to upload some video of the two of them sometime soon.
Stats: He had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday and weighed almost 10 lbs, so I'm sure he's a little over 10 lbs right now (2.5 lbs over his birth weight). He is about 22 inches long (1.5 inches over his birth length). I packed up his newborn clothes about a week ago, and he's been wearing 0-3 month or 3 month clothes, depending on the brand.
Diapers: I switched to cloth diapers exclusively about 2 weeks ago because we were having poop and pee leakage issues, and they've been great! I highly recommend the Bummis Tot Bots Easy Fit diapers. They will fit a toddler (Elise is about 36 inches and 30 lbs) and a baby. I think Jack was close to 9 lbs when we started using them. They are easy enough for any random person to correctly changethe diaper, and all you have to do is throw them in the laundry every other day. It is way easier than washing poop stains out of clothes and car seats! Mike and I are both very pleased with them. I've even had success with them at night, though I imagine once Jack is sleeping 12 hours, he will need a disposable at night. I change him at every feeding. He wears size 1 in a disposable.
Eating: He has started to establish a fairly predictable schedule...most of the time, he eats within 15 minutes of these times (and always RIGHT when we are about to eat dinner)
Eating: He has started to establish a fairly predictable schedule...most of the time, he eats within 15 minutes of these times (and always RIGHT when we are about to eat dinner)
8 am, 10:45 am, 1:30 pm, 4:00 pm, 6 pm, 8 pm (and 1-2 times at night). He is still a great nurser, so much so that we rarely give him a bottle because it is a hassle (and he sleeps the same whether he has a bottle before bed or not). I have been pumping one side after his morning feeding, but I don't see much of a point in storing up milk when we're going to be moving at the end of July. I do want to make sure that he has a bottle often enough that I know he will take one if necessary, so he gets a few ounces every few days.
Sleeping: He's usually asleep for the night between 8:30-9 pm. Last night, he woke up at 4:30 am to eat and went right back to sleep. That is the longest stretch that he has slept in his crib, though he has done 7-8 hours in his bouncer several times since he was 1 week old. I no longer let him sleep in his bouncer at night, though he does sleep in it sometimes during the day. He has always slept well at night.
Sleeping: He's usually asleep for the night between 8:30-9 pm. Last night, he woke up at 4:30 am to eat and went right back to sleep. That is the longest stretch that he has slept in his crib, though he has done 7-8 hours in his bouncer several times since he was 1 week old. I no longer let him sleep in his bouncer at night, though he does sleep in it sometimes during the day. He has always slept well at night.
Naps are another story. I try to follow Babywise but it is a lot harder to do with two kids! Sometimes, I'll have to give him a feeding in two different sittings because I also need to do something with Elise, like put her down for a nap, take her to the potty, fix a meal, get her up from a nap, etc. We almost always go somewhere in the morning, so he takes his first nap in the car seat. The rest of the day is a challenge for me to get him down without nursing him to sleep or bouncing him to sleep. I usually have to try several times before he will actually stay asleep. I think I might be keeping him up too long for his waketime. I am trying to decide if it is worth the space and money to invest in a swing. Elise hated them so we never got one for her, but she was easy to put down from an early age. Thoughts? It is just hard for me to devote a lot of time to getting him down for a nap while she is awake.
Playtime: We alternate between the play mat, bouncer, someone's arms, and floor while he is awake. He doesn't mind tummy time but he doesn't do much either. He's started smiling responsively, cooing, and tracking us across the room this week.
Playtime: We alternate between the play mat, bouncer, someone's arms, and floor while he is awake. He doesn't mind tummy time but he doesn't do much either. He's started smiling responsively, cooing, and tracking us across the room this week.
We love this little guy and are so thankful to be a family of four!
3 weeks
yes... videos, please :-)
ReplyDeleteHappy 1-month birthday, baby Gack!!! What an adorable little sweetheart you are. And that hair! I bet it is already driving all the ladies crazy :)
ReplyDeleteAww! Steph, he is so cute!!
ReplyDelete